PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2012, 01:20
Danny42C

Chugalug,

You do me too much honour (but keep it coming!)

As regards the status of the chaps in the back; they were the remains of the old Blenheim crews who'd come out in the first panic in mid '42, so there were two claimants for each seat in the VV (they didn't claim all that hard). The surplus went to all sorts of odd jobs, as in India we only had a few B-24s and Catalinas that carried full crews.

There were plenty of Daks, but I think it was all a bit casual as to who sat in the dicky seat - could be a pilot if they had one, possibly a nav, or a w/op (he could be of some use, getting bearings and things) - or simply a favoured passenger. (QA or PMRAFNS preferred!). Don't really know.

When the Beaus and Mossies came out, complete crews came with them, of course. I don't think there were any Conversion Units out there as far as I remember. The VV OTU in Peshawar (Ambala?) was only set up late in the day, to supply crews for the two IAF Squadrons, and really they only operated for one whole dry season (43/44) before they were pulled out.

As for Mk. IVs, none got to India to my knowledge, some went to the RAAF, some to the UK (all as target tugs), and the USAAC (at whose behest an Angle of Incidence had been put on the wing) did nothing much with the A-35s they took. Wiki tells me all this, and that the Free French tried them in N. Africa without much success. I don't think any did much diving, except possibly in Aus.

I agree with you - if I were in the back I'm sure I would have found it more comfortable looking up - if the guns are going to fall on me, I'd like to see them coming, - and I'd rather not see the altimeter, if you don't mind!

As to the trim problem, I'm no aerodynamicist; perhaps the trim tabs on the elevators, riding "free" in the dive as they were, could push back in the airstream to line up with them. As the tabs would normally be depressed (= elevator slightly up), this would produce the effect. (All right, clever Dick, account for it only happening with a 250 on each wing?) A disturbed airflow "wiggling" the elevators in some way? (I've got an answer for everything,
haven't I ?)......... I'll get my hat.

Cup of tea every hour on the hour? (One day - in ATC - but not yet!)

Keep the questions coming (and criticisms always welcome),

Cheers,
Danny.

(Can not get this spacing under control - probably me - sorry)....D

Re: Previous Post #2660, think Moderator best person to handle..Agree?..D

Last edited by Danny42C; 14th Jun 2012 at 01:43. Reason: Reference Post #2660