PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Sonic Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 21:44
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my thoughts, but as I see it, the A380 contributes to increased congestion at major hubs and is pivotal to the schedule of every other aircraft around it for on-carriage. Boeing's intent was/is to provide capabilities to airlines to avoid hubs or at least to level demand for resources. As a passenger, I hate multiple flight legs if I can do the flight non-stop. There are not many things worse than a stopover, but a stopover with a long wait between flights ranks right up there. I think Boeing focussed on aircraft designs that allow for considerably more scheduling flexibility (more frequency rather than greater volume) than the A380 allows and aren't so dependent upon other flight schedules and vice versa. I assume it allows airport operators to schedule ground resources better as well.

Re: the sonic cruiser...18 hours from NY to SYD in a thin tube? Might work for first class passengers, but I'd be going crazy. Non-stop would be okay, but 18 hours!!! Short of a seat that reclined into a double bed with an inbuilt barfridge and onboard showers, I think I'd prefer to be sharing a jail cell for the same time. After 14 hours in economy, I'm busting for a stretch, a wash, a change of clothes and to focus my eyes on a range of objects further away than 5 metres. Don't know what the psychs would say, but 14 hours seems close to my limit. After 18 hours, the cabin staff would have to get me with a stretcher.

Last edited by Lodown; 13th Jun 2012 at 22:31.