PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 20:47
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "If this was any other country in the world nevermind Europe the 3rd runway at LHR would be being paved as we speak day and night! Instead we have a nasty piece of work masquerading as a harmless buffoon coming to the conclusion Tracey Island is the solution to our problems"

As was the case in both AMS and FRA!

Quote: "As is often said, all the folks who will have a problem with an expanded LHR get to protest but the folks who will benefit have no support group. because the promoters are those who will benefit financially, they are derided as being only in it for the money. It's Catch 22 every time in the UK."

Exactly right, Rivet Joint and PAXboy you are both spot-on!

Many of the protesters do not live close to the airport and, more than likely, do not benefit directly or indirectly. As is often the case, it's a case of posturing and gesture politics (e.g. Boris "dying in a ditch", and Zac Goldsmith MP suggesting that he will not stand for election as a Conservative if Call-Me-Dave does a U-turn on LHR expansion).

Quote: "From a BBC report a couple of days ago:

"But one Tory Minister has told me that the Government should lay the groundwork now for building a third runway here at Heathrow after the next election, and that the next Conservative manifesto shouldn't include any promises that would rule out future airport expansion"

Interestingly, DaveReidUK, at Prime Ministers Questions today, Zac Goldsmith (Con, Richmond Park) asked the first question. Predictably, he enquired if the government was back-tracking on its opposition to LHR expansion. Tellingly, Call-Me-Dave did not rule it out. As his his wont, he didn't answer the question directly "yes" or "no", but left the door wide open.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 13th Jun 2012 at 20:50.