PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 16:03
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks A33Zab & MM43.

In case of UAS, What you will have instead is the red flag "SPD LIM" (see report previous page) without Vmax, VSL nor VSW and... It will last for the remainder of the flight like ALT2! (read me well: even if the airspeed come back to normal after a while...
This quote is from Takata, and if I understand it correctly, raises an interesting point about the 'latched' state of ALT2B and addresses some of the recent discussion about VLS availability and other displays.

It indicates to me that when speeds returned to normal at the apex at 5.6 degrees of pitch, that not only was VLS not available, but there was no red & black zipper (VSW) displayed either. Just a valid speed value (~215k) and speed tape and a SPD LIM flag.

So when the FD's returned, there was no visual indication of VSW, i.e. no real good visual indication of stall proximity or the inadvisability of pulling up again at this point. And without the classic aircraft response, a source of confusion in correlating the audio SW to the actual flight conditions.

I think this is why, at least I think, knowing what actually gets 'latched' may be of some use to the drivers.

Last edited by OK465; 13th Jun 2012 at 16:06. Reason: changed VSL to VLS