PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 15:44
pstythe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would appreciate some help

Hi guys

I've been trawling through this thread and would really appreciate it if someone in the know (perhaps a senior pilot) could condense some information to help both myself and (hopefully) other inexperienced Cathay 'wannabes'.

I'll be graduating from a top-10 UK university in July with (I hope!) a 2.1 in Biology. I've long wanted to become a commercial pilot but unfortunately there does not seem to be one complete, simple and financially sensible way of doing this as a school/uni leaver. Had there been then I would have chosen this option upon leaving school. Needless to say I chose and was advised to study a science degree at a decent university in order to place myself in the best situation at this point in time. As such I leave reasonably well-qualified (science As at A-level and a science degree) but with little flying experience (the RAF uni air squadron wouldn't have me on asthma grounds, although I had run the marathon in under 4-hours I joined the army equivalent instead! Lots of exercise ).

Neither I, nor my family can afford to pay flight training fees (PPL or more advanced) especially when there is no guarantee of subsequent employment. I've looked at programmes like CTC or the BA future pilot scheme yet they seem to require a guaranteed loan and I don't want my parents to mortgage their home! If a successful airline can see the potential in you as an employee, brand ambassador and pilot (i.e. you pass competitive selection), they should surely take the leap and pay for your training (as so many other firms would)...

So to get to the point: I found the Cathay cadet scheme and was pleased to see that they offer training to complete raw (in terms of flying) recruits from all over the world. I have completed and sent the application (lots of mumbo jumbo about my experiences, why I'd be a truly incredible pilot etc. etc.) and am awaiting some sort of response... Having waited a couple of weeks with no mention of even a date to expect an initial response, I emailed again and have heard nothing (starting to doubt my wish to work for this company...).

So I suppose I have 2 questions (each one containing more ):

a) What are my chances of passing selection (I should add here that although I studied Biology, I know a fair bit about aircraft, navigation and the industry in general, far more than the average person, I am also fit and can drive: coordinated)? Are they looking for people with multiple hours and licences? Will I be subjected to different requirements due to my British nationality? How interested are they really in your 'personality'?

b) When can I expect to hear something? Or can anyone email me a number I can ring to vent my frustration? Is UK selection constantly happening or is there a specific date I can be pointed towards?

Finally, I guess that I should put that although 'pilot' has always stood at the top of my careers list as an ambition of mine, I am also a realist and will not be a slave to any scheme, company, pay package or training school. Many posters seem to be extremely negative about the entire selection, training and career experience and I have to say I find this a bit worrying. I understand that no job is without its faults but query the strength of this negativity? Do schemes take advantage of 'keenos? How does one best set themselves up for a career in the airline industry without the RAF/complete self-funding?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Phil