PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO turn back
Thread: EFATO turn back
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:38
Checkboard

Received 118 Likes on 58 Posts
But the fact remains that based on the situation he found himself in, he took the option which was by far most likely to result in death.
See, here's the problem - you state this as an absolute fact and it simply isn't. It is your opinion. Your opinion based on insufficient knowledge, at that.

Most of the land he is flying over in the vid looks freshly ploughed to me. I would rather have ridden that aircraft back to the landing this guy made, than have you try and stick it into a freshly ploughed field, frankly.

with no appreciation of the danger in flying around for two minutes at zero feet, banked heavily with the stall warning going off.
I am certain he fully appreciated the danger - I am certain that he was in fact pretty terrified. It's not like this was a video of a bit of "low flying for fun".

Under conditions of very high stress he was using his commander's authority to conduct an emergency manoeuvre to save the lives of the passengers. A manoeuvre which was completely successful. To say the outcome was "Pure dumb luck" is simply incorrect. He didn't close his eyes and waggle the controls randomly (which would be pure luck) - he was carefully flying the aircraft at the edge of its performance (using his emergency authority to do so) and achieved a safe outcome.

I'm perplexed by the fact that it appears you are now defending your original attack on me to maintain your pride.
I'm not defending an attack on you - I am pointing out the errors in your attack on another pilot. (In other words, "You started it - nyaa nyaa na nyaa nyaa." )

If you had recognised that you were only spouting a personal opinion (based on the poor knowledge provided "looking thorough the keyhole" of a camera viewfinder) in your original post attacking the poor bloke, I wouldn't have had any problems.

Last edited by Checkboard; 13th Jun 2012 at 10:39.