PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about the Continental IO-520/550
Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:44
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
----he leans until the engine is rough and gives the Mixture a turn till it's smooth again. It's an old technique, but since Deakin says he wouldn't recommend running LOP without the proper equipment, then what does that men in regards to the "lean till rough" technique?
ImaginedByGod
That popular technique more or less puts you in the range to MAXIMISE the chance of detonation, with all that implies. If you are going to run RoP, you need to be richer than that technique produces.

I would also make the point that a LAME (who hasn't made a study of the subject as a pilot) knows no more about how to operate an engine than anybody else. Maintaining and operating are not synonyms. Indeed, some of the most appalling rubbish I have heard on engine operation ---- including complete ignorance of LoP operations, and hence rejection --- has come from LAMEs.

Read everything Deacon has written on the subject, he really does know what he is talking about. It is nothing new, for those of us who remember operating big piston engines, and the same rules apply to little ones. In the G.O.Ds even the manufacturers handbooks for Lycoming and Continental engines had all the proper graphs for the running envelope for their engines.

You do need (as Deacon says) multi-point CHT, plus multi-point EGT is better, to make the best of LoP, and having Gammi injectors tuned to your engine is a big help. With all the engines, low RPM and high boost for a given HP output will give the best fuel flow, "properly" leaned.

As for IBG's operating technique, I would particularly recommend a close scrutiny of the engine manufacturer's handbook, along with the works of Deacon. Unless, of course, time is so precious, those few extra minutes, that the cost of fuel and engine maintenance doesn't rate, and that is a business decision.

Tootle pip!!