PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Homophobia towards Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 02:28
PT6A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you should take a peek at this LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm curious what would happen if for example a UK airline refused to employ a male cabin crew member, who was gay.

If they stated the reason for the non employment was the fact he was unable to be scheduled across their entire route network. The airline has a duty of care to it's employees and they cannot absolve a crew member from complying with the laws of another country.

Much the same as a crew member who has a criminal conviction that is "spent" under the rehabilitation of offenders act in the UK, but another country does not have to recognize the UK legislation considering it "spent" and can refuse entry. (Canada for example)

As such, the airline would be within it's rights to deny employment based on the standard clause "Must be able to travel unrestricted across the network" or various words to that effect......

I could see how this could be argued in a variety of ways... I wonder if any airline has thought about the issue? Or been to afraid of the PC BS to ever address it.

Map below showing parts of the world where homosexuality (mainly between men) is still illegal, and in some cases punishable by death.

Ps. I could not give two hoots as to someones sexual orientation, I'm just curious is the possible ramifications of sending an "overtly" gay crew member to some of these countries has been considered.

Last edited by PT6A; 13th Jun 2012 at 02:36.