PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft painting
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2012, 01:37
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi KP, thanks for the compliment. I have spent some weeks trying to source a suitable primer for the PreKote which is why I chipped in.

I am not a professional painter, just a LAME. It is the structure and corrosion prevention treatment that concerns me more than cosmetic finish.
Naturally these are often the parts of the repaint that get forgotten when done by backyard painters.

A good paint job will give a durable and strong waterproof finish with good lustre.
A bad one naturally may not give any of them.

I am not in a position to answer your question. I have seen clearcoats fail, as indeed we all have on cars as well as aircraft.
I would recommend you ring a painter that works on helicopters. They have attractive, colourful schemes and normally present better than a GA aircraft.

If you use a two pack primer then your topcoat (colour) would be a two pack also and have all the properties we require. A regular buff and polish should give years of use. It is the preparation that is ultimately responsible for the durability of the paint job.

If you use a colour system with metallics then you will be into the Base Coat-Clear Coat system.

The base coat will be dull/flat and the clear coat is required for the lustre.

I could not tell you how much extra weight is applied.

This guy seems to be onto it..

Graphics are being used increasingly now also, another consideration.

Last edited by baron_beeza; 13th Jun 2012 at 04:24.