PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about the Continental IO-520/550
Old 13th Jun 2012, 01:31
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IBG

If you are taking the time to read John Deakin's web articles then you understand that to operate an engine as he suggests you also need to have balanced fuel injectors and an all-cylinder monitor. To operate without these is courting disaster.

Very, very few operators have bothered to spend the money to equip their aircraft with the necessary equipment and, therefore, to operate LOP is to invite a very short career in aviation. In fact, most operators want their aircraft operated in accordance with a standard, many of which are crazy (like operating 75deg ROP) but it is their train set you are playing with and they set the rules.

By all means discuss what you have read with the CP and the CE but be prepared to hear a lot of old wives tales about engine management, they are rife out there. In my experience I have only worked for one operator (and met another) who have equipped their aircraft appropriately and operate LOP. I have also read of another couple or so operators on this forum who operate LOP. They are rare in the commercial world but a growing number of private operators are picking up the trend.