PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin in the 80's
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2012, 22:31
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of advice Tee Emm

I worked for Ossie for a bit over 4 years and would like to think that I got to know him fairly well. For most of that time I was his chief pilot. Yes, he did throw a wobbly every now and then and yes he did fly off the handle every now and then and sack a pilot only to take him back the next week. Occasionally he would be frothing at the mouth with rage but it didn't take long before the gentleman within rose to the surface.

Despite all of that he had a bucket load of experience and gave many a young pilot an opportunity. You might have had to start working in the engine shop or out at Maningrida but you got a start and he always kept his word when he said you would be flying RPT soon.

He was generous to fault in some ways (I think that was to make up for Shirley) and would step in to give a hand when he could.

I left in unhappy circumstances, quite bitter and disappointed but Ossie and Shirley still rang to congratulate my wife and I on the birth of our first son.

To see the way they both ended their days was very sad. The territory is worse off for their passing and if I were you, and thank god I am not, I would be very careful not to judge people you have not even met based on the colorful stories you read on PPRUNE.

Last edited by flying-spike; 14th Jun 2012 at 00:22. Reason: fixed bits