PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about the Continental IO-520/550
Old 12th Jun 2012, 16:47
ImaginedByGod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me guess.........you have recently done your CPL and are wondering about all the CR@P you learned, from your text books and from your school and are totally confused.
LoL, unfortunately not. The operator I work for uses this type of engine and I want to understand how/why/what with this engine. Helps with detecting problems and solving emergencies, and and also helps get the best performance from the engine.

Correct, although any richer mixture, even to 40LOP at that setting will create higher CHT, and around the 40-80ROP wll be the higher numbers of CHT. Any of these settings would be TOO RICH............or not RICH enough

175-200ROP at those settings is the good place to be if on the rich side.
Now the other thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is running lean of peak EGT (LOP). Is it true that when running say 50ºF LOP that the CHTs will be lower than if you were running 50ºF rich of peak (ROP)? From what I'm understanding, the reason that the CHTs will be lower is because you are sending less fuel into the cylinders and are therefore reducing the intensity of the combustion taking place. Is this accurate?

Also, if you are running 50ºLOP, will you have to do this at a lower RPM setting?

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best MP, RPM & Fuel Flow settings for various altitudes (2,000-10,000). Preferably settings that "make the engine purr."

Lastly, I am curious about the Descent phase since the POH of the aircraft I'm flying doesn't go into much, or any detail about this phase. Specifically, if we are to descend at 300'/minute (for passenger comfort) What settings will keep the engine nice and warm without bringing it to the border of Yellow line?

Quite a broad topic. The aircraft specifically are Cessna 210L/M/N.

Thanks