PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brough Airfield
Thread: Brough Airfield
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2012, 16:42
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
I do believe that Autair operated HP7s to Luton on a scheduled service from Brough?
Also Jersey amongst others. I have seen archived industry press arcticles from the time suggesting Hull (Brough) was their best performing airport in terms of sales.

Does anyone know how come that the Local Planning Authority allowed construction of the above chimney, particularly as it presented an obstacle which rendered the Brough declared distances to be useless as far as airline operations were concerned?
I'm not exactly sure why it was given the go-ahead, however I believe that there was hope of Leconfield being made available full time. Afterall that airfield already had a 7500ft runway so no need for a costly extension. I believe that plan backfired after approval was given to build Cappa Pass, as the MOD severely restricted civillian passenger movements at Leconfield to just weekends and out of hours operations. I believe this was due to an increased use of the bombing and gunnery range at Cowden.

This deprived the residents of Hull and East Riding of their local airport and, I believe, precipitated the development of Kirmington which eventually became Humberside
With the plan to build the Humber Bridge in operation during the 70's, and the formation of Humberside County Council, I dont think it was such a bad idea to concentrate on Kirmington. On paper its quite well located for East Yorkshire and a large part of Lincolnshire, plus the Humber Bridge tolls have been cut by 50%, it just needs those flights back that it had a few years ago, and those passengers will return.

Last edited by pug; 12th Jun 2012 at 16:43.