PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you listen to ATC if they tell you the weather ahead is bad?
Old 12th Jun 2012, 13:45
Clydeport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facts

Ok just to give you some facts on this particular flight. I was flying Police51.

We were on task and asked by Glasgow ATC if we would be able to help an aircraft in distress that Edinburgh were working who had gone IMC betweenGlasgow and Edinburgh.

We transferred to Edinburgh approach as the subject aircraft radioed that he could now see some water below him and some ground and was going to decent.

Edinburgh vectored us towards the aircraft. He then announced that he was VFR again. Edinburgh asked him if he wanted to divert and he said yes. They said the weather was better at Glasgow, did he want to divert there and did he want our assistance. He said yes to both. We located him and offered him the option of following us back to Glasgow airport which he accepted. With local knowledge we led him over the least congested route to put him on a long final onto runway 23 at Glasgow.

When he was lined up and happy, we moved to the side and let him continuehis approach to land.

I understand that when he went IMC his gyro toppled and Edinburgh weretreating him as a 'no compass no gyro' aircraft.

All's well that ends well but the weather was poor. I think I would have listened to FBWs advice

Last edited by Clydeport; 12th Jun 2012 at 13:47.