PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAST test, maybe we all have a problem?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2012, 11:37
Dogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAST test, maybe we all have a problem?

Had my annual medical about 4 weeks ago. All the usual stuff required. Part of the questionnaire ask questions relating to alcohol use. 4 questions are asked of the candidate.

The FAST Test

1. How often do you have eight or more drinks on one occasion?
__ Never ***__ Less Than Monthly ***__ Monthly ***__ Weekly ***__ Daily or Almost Daily
2. How often during the last year have you been unable to remember what happened the night before because you had been drinking?
__ Never ***__ Less Than Monthly ***__ Monthly ***__ Weekly ***__ Daily or Almost Daily

3. How often during the last year have you failed to do what was normally expected of you because of your drinking?

4. Has a relative or friend, a doctor or other health worker been concerned about your drinking or suggested you cut down?
__ No ***__ Yes, but not in the last year. ***__ Yes in the last year.

Scoring the FAST Test

Score questions 1, 2 and 3 as follows:
Never -- 0 points
Less than monthly -- 1 point
Monthly -- 2 points
Weekly -- 3 points
Daily or almost daily -- 4 points
Score question 4 as follows:

No -- 0 points
Yes, but not in the last year -- 2 points
Yes, in the last year -- 4 points
The maximum score is 16. A total score of 3 indicates hazardous drinking.

If a person answer "never" on the first question, he or she is not a hazardous drinker and the remaining questions are not necessary.

If a person answers "weekly" or "daily or almost daily" on the first question, he or she is considered a hazardous drinker and the rest of the questions are skipped.

If a person answers "monthly" or "less than monthly" to the first question, the other three questions are needed to complete the screening for hazardous behavior.

I answered "less than monthly" to the first 3 questions ( I was being honest..... Silly me), thus incurring a total score of 3.

I recently received a letter from CASA advising me that my score of 3 on the FAST test represents "potentially hazardous behavior" . I must now undertake a further blood test for Liver function, carbohydrates etc......All at my own cost.

I do not consider myself a problem drinker... ( maybe that's the problem?) Even as I filled out the questionnaire I knew I shouldn't have been so honest. I guess I just wanted to try it out, and now I know Admit to having a few drinks less than once a month and you might be facing further examination from the regulator.

I'm inclined now to never again tell the bloody doctor anything....... Of course I know that is just how I feel at the moment being frustrated and angry.

Dogman

As an aside, a few weeks ago I was DAMP tested and passed not a worry...