PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about the Continental IO-520/550
Old 12th Jun 2012, 11:25
ImaginedByGod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the Continental IO-520/550

I have been reading a very interesting PDF from John Deakin about Manifold Pressure, Constant speed Props, and the Mixture. Towards the end of the PDF he describes his typical cruise settings for low altitudes.

Here's the link: http://www.advancedpilot.com/downloads/prep.pdf

With big-bore fuel-injected engines like TCM 520s/550s and Lyc 540s, we're getting some modern developments that can be of major benefit, and which will pay for themselves in short order. These improvements should also allow safe and efficient operation well outside the suggestions in the various POHs and manufacturers manuals, including much lower RPM, higher MP, and leaner mixtures. At low altitudes, I am routinely running my IO-550 at 2,100 RPM, full throttle, and very lean, perhaps 50° F LOP EGT. That produces about 75% of rated power. The engine appears to love it, runs very cool, makes much less noise, and runs very smooth. However, those settings would be a deadly combination if I enriched the mixture, or even worse, tried running ROP. I also cannot climb at that power setting, because the loss in airspeed causes too much increase in CHT

My (first) question is if those settings would be 'a deadly combination' if he enriched the mixture, how then would he return to climb power? Would he be increasing the RPM and Mixture at the same time? or would he first reduce MP and increase the Mixture then Prop?

Last edited by ImaginedByGod; 12th Jun 2012 at 11:27.