PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2012, 08:50
G.O.G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Borneo Veterans Here

Tiger Mate
I was stationed at Nanga Gaat for many periods between October 1965 and August 1966 when I was one of the small party who closed Nanga Gaat down. I have some old slides of Nanga Gaat both from the air and on the ground, personnel and Helicopters, Whirlwind, Belvederes and I believe an Army Scout. My work dress was KD shorts and flip flops, and night time attire was a sarong and shirt for drinkies in the Anchor bar. Between work and drinkies we used to play volley ball every evening. When I first arrived at the Gaat there was a Navy landrover left over from when they were there, Its anybodies guess why it was there as it could go nowhere, It was finally removed by the Navy but thats another story. My nickname was Swede I was a 19 year old engine mechanic at the time. If you would like some photos please pm your e-mail address and I will forward some to you. Will shortly be putting the photos on here as have photos of fellow staff at Nanga Gaat whos names escape me. Oh by the way the pads were psp with a large log at the rear of the pans which was a fixed chock.Finally also have photos of the Blue Peter team who paid us a visit in 1966.