PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2012, 01:01
jcjeant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rest of your post is completely irrelevant to AF447; it refers to earlier replacement of Rosemount probes with either Goodrich or Thales. Yup, Thales probes were found to be superior to Rosemount's.
Not at all .. this show how much earlier (far before the AF447 event) was the preoccupation about the Pitot tube problem and it's possible consequences ....
I want to remind you what you posted
clandestino
Before AF447 it seemed that UAS is somewhere in the middle of the seriousness scale as pilots have successfully coped with it. There was no rush to change the offending pitots.
And what I posted ...
jcjeant
August 2001:
The DGAC mandates the replacement of the sensor Rosemount probes by the
Goodrich and Thales AA by AD 2001-354 (B) (Appendix 3).

July 2002:
In the OIT 999.0068/02/VHR SE (Annex 4), Airbus made ​​the observation of defects
probe Thales (formerly Sextant) P / N C16195AA.

December 2002:
The FAA mandates the replacement of the sensor Rosemount probes by the
Goodrich and Thales AA , specifying the hazard out of the flight and that is the answer to an "unsafe condition" (Annex 39)

January 2005 : Thales launch the project « ADELINE » (annexe 5). Actual air data equipment is composed of a large number of individual probes and pressure sensors. This equipment delivers vital parameters for the safety of the aircraft’s flight such as air speed, angle of attack and altitude. The loss of these data can cause aircraft crashes especially in case of probe icing.
Yes .. indeed .. despite all the earlier preoccupations .. it was unluckely no rush ......
clandestino
Thanks, now we found out it is Airbus chief test pilot, mr Rosay, could now someone please translate what he actually said, for the benefit of us not understanding French?
In the video .. the interviewer ask Mr Rosay .. what the AF447 pilots had to take as action when the event occured
His aswer was .... do nothing !
Clandestino
In the article about spatial disorientation, published in internal air force magazine, some 23 years ago (if you wonder: my father was reserve captain in the army that started to crumble at the time so he could get away with sneaking away a few issues of GRViPVO to his aeroplane-crazy son). There was nice illustration, allegedly based on radar plot, of MiG-15 UTI entering the cloud, reversing its heading and completing two full spirals before hitting the ground. Point of the article, with which I fully concur, was that spatial disorientation can happen even to the best and most experienced pilots. That former fighter pilot can be offended by the suggestion is quite surprising to me. Frankly, I find it even a bit appalling.

So how does it fit in with your "We are talking about trained airline pilots here" umbrage? He was astronaut, far better trained than any airline jockey, yet he died making what uninformed call "beginner's mistake".
Gagarin was not really an experienced pilot ... (check his flight hours ...)
And when he was incorporated in the space program .. he fly very little time .. (or not at all) just for keep up to date his pilot papers (license)

Reference
Starman by Jamie Doran and Piers Bizony
Although he was the most famous pilot in the world, he was not a particularly experienced one. Telltale clues can be discovered even to this day in the museum at Star City, where a number of Gagarin’s personal effects are preserved. His pilot’s log book is a much-venerated object, yet it makes disturbing reading. When he was recruited into the first cosmonaut squad at the end of 1959, his total flight time amounted to 252 hours and twenty-one minutes. Of this, only seventy-five hours had been spent as a solo MiG-15 pilot, first at Orenburg, then on station at Nikel in the Murmansk region. For a young Air Force lieutenant starting out on his career, this was not an especially poor total, although most of the other cosmonauts in his group had logged 1,500 hours or so. If he had stayed on active duty with the Air Force, Gagarin could have built up his flying time to become a superbly skilled fighter pilot. After he was recruited for training at Star City, however, he lost this opportunity altogether.

Last edited by jcjeant; 12th Jun 2012 at 01:50.