PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 23:58
Danny42C

mic,

Stirring memories, indeed! Now you've really set me off! I clicked the link, and was soon in way over my head. Only thing to do: get pen and notebook and make notes on the 25 (if I've counted right) intriguing pics, otherwise would be hopelessly at sea in my reply. Three pages of notes so far!

Imp of mischief whispered in my ear: many of these would do well in a Caption Competition! Compromise with imp: will put his suggestions in in italics (Editor disclaims all responsibility for views expressed by imp). Pics numbered in order of appearance.

Have introduced new acronym (is it allowed?) - "IK", means "Insufficient Knowledge" - (cop-out minute on files by lazy Staff Officers in my day - wouldn't dare today, I suppose). In plain words: "Know nowt about it/them!"

Pic 1. (Oops!) Some little chap has had a mishap. (Lysanders? - IK).

2. Looks mid-monsoonish. We did not deal in squadron letters much, all my log entries are serial nos., I got as far as VV EZ993, not far from the Camden EZ999. Can't remember what our letters were in either 110 or 8(IAF) Sqdns, so can't help here. Sorry.

3. The lone "F" would probably be on a training unit. 31 Sqdn were the much loved Daks we saw the most of at Chittagong - always good for a lift to Cal!

4. I think this is very early on (pre-war?) Note large serial numbers painted
under wing of Wapiti. Are those bomb racks ? (look horribly flimsy to me). Another indication of early days: "Bombay Bowlers" proudly worn. There seems to be extensive construction work going on in the background.

5. That is the scruffiest aircraft I ever saw outside a scrapyard! Surely that Audax didn't fly! It's a disgrace to the RAF. (possibly a training hulk) (Happy BB wearers again). Mystery object? Beats me! ("we lent it to the Taliban, Sarge, and this is how it came back - but they gave us this feather-duster thing to help clean it up, they hadn't any feathers, so they tied on a bunch of rags")........

6. Gets chilly in the North in winter - lad's wearing his No.1 jacket over a shirt - (jacket'll have to go to the dhobi before next parade). Has ditched BB in favour of Cap FS. Progress - of a sort.

Note: the www.bharat-rackshak.com/IAF link you gave is well worth a look.

7. No comment.

8. Could this be another Tiger of Hyderabad ?

9. Looks like a jack-up after a belly landing. Nose of a/c (Dak?) looks funny in some way. Now there's a ladder and a half! Best of luck!

10. Nice line of VVs there. Would like to know what was painted on nose just below front screen.

11. and 12. There's posh for you! A/C all bulled-up, BBs correctly worn. Must be be VIP in vicinity.

13. "Are you all right? " - 0r - "White ants again, Sarge!"

14. "The M.U. says the prop and wings should be coming along next week, Sarge" - Or - "Put that man on a charge for having a dented Bowler!"

15. Welcome breeze today - blown BB off head of man in foreground, retained by chin strap (normally across top front). VV on far side missed the draft.

16. Fine body of good-looking castaways - and not one with BMI>20! (Obesity hadn't been invented).

17. Cor! Burra-burra Sahib and Memsahib and ADCs stroll over to their car.

18. They also serve who only stand and wait. (Coffee and biscuits being finished off on board by VIP party.

19. "And the winner in the How Far can you Throw the Passengers' Luggage Competition is ........"

20. "Now which one was it they told me to press to drop that bomb?"

21. and 22. (Beaufort - IK). What is that thing on wing outboard of bomb rack? On both (nice) pics.

23. (Hudson - IK). Posh - note socks pulled up. Or "What the Butler Saw".

24. and 25. Mohawks (knuckles and all). 5 Sqdn had them in N.Burma in '44. Or "Where did you get that Hat?"

It is noteworthy that all the aircraft seen are carrying the old three-colour roundel. This means that the pictures were taken very early in the war, for all operational aircraft would have the two-colour (blue and white) of ACSEA.

Hope that helped (I've had some fun with it!) Thanks a lot, mic, for putting it in for me.

Danny.