PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Question..Please help
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 22:02
ATCast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not skeptical! I am cynical!
Ah,you must be working in the industry for a while then!

Right, I get that, but that is why I found in humorous, that they would have all of the ground equipment in place without the signal specs sorted out.
The ADSB system is already over 50 years old. A 'new' system of ADSB in and out is still based on the same signal, protocal, and syntax.
That is not really consistent is it? .

Version 2 of the ADS-B Transponder MOPS was published in 2009. The FAA ADS-B implementation is based on that MOPS (the Australians use version 0 (published in 2000), Europe will also be on version 2) .
Things that still needed sorting out at that time were system integration aspects like the maximum allowable latency between the GPS and the transponder (ADS-B OUT) and between the transponder and the CDTI (ADS-B IN

We already know that a passenger with an internet connection, can see all of the ADSB aircraft on flight aware, while the crew cannot?
Yes, it is sometimes frustrating to see that technology outside aviation advances so much quicker than inside. However, the internet applications don't care about accuracy, integrity, availability, continuity. Being involved in GBAS, you probably do. But I see how people become cynical after spending some time in this business.

A 2020 aircraft electronic system will look like what....and will have to be downward compatible to the ADSB system?
The problem with ADS-B, or any surveillance application, is that it doesn't really help to have only one or two aircraft equipped. It's very nice to see a couple of other aircraft on your screen, but it doesn't really help if the one you're about to fly into is not visible.

A 2020 aircraft electronic system, when starting from a blanc sheet, will integrate all on board systems so that they all communicate with each other and all data can be shared with external parties. Those parties (e.g. other aircraft) can for example upload suggested trajectory changes to the aircraft and negotiate more efficient routing. Of course all very secure, and it does never fail.

By the time the 2020 system is certified it will be 2030 (if we're lucky) and then it will go into production. Unfortunately our first 2020 technology aircraft, when coming of the production line in 2030, will not be able to use this technology to its advantage because the other aircraft, designed before 2020 are not forward compatible. But this will change; over time more and more A2020 and B2020 aircraft will fly and you'll start to get the first small advantage after 10 years (by this time the operators that bought the multi million 2020 package are really wondering why they spent so much money, ask the early FANS adopters).
Now while these model 2020 aircraft roll of the production line, the 2015 model is also still being produced, and it turns out to be a huge cost to retrofit them with the 2020 package, it's uneconomical to do it.
Typically an aircraft systems design is produced for 15-20 years, and an airframe lives for 30 years until it is retired. So the 2015 model, which went into production in 2020, will be produced until at least 2035 and the last one will not retire before 2065.
So when we are in 2070, finally all aircraft will be compatible with the 2020 package, which then can finally be used to it's full advantage. Of course someone will then come here on Tech Log and ask why they don't use 2070 technology.

If not dead, I'll be cynical by then