PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 21:14
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
B Word, I could waffle on with no end of blather, but in truth the only answer I can give is that I don't know. What I do know is that having Regulator, Operator, and Accident Investigator as one and the same is a recipe for disaster! You are right of course that the money has to be found, as it has to be for Civil Aviation. In that case:
The UK Government requires that the CAA’s costs are met entirely from its charges on those whom it regulates. Unlike many other countries, there is no direct Government funding of the CAA’s work.
Obviously in the case of Military Aviation that formula would be a direct contradiction, and Government funding would be needed. The only thing that occurs is that would at least be an improvement on MOD funding and hence control. Cleverer heads than mine must square that circle.
Speaking of the CAA, it also occurs that an MAA sistered with its civil counterpart, and an MAAIB likewise sistered with the AAIB could give access to professional regulating and investigating at a stroke. I doubt if either civilian organisation would welcome being involved with such a can of worms but this is truly national crisis and needs a national solution.
The first step in solving such a crisis is to recognise that it exists. That has to come from military aviation professionals, be they air or ground, military or civilian.
Too much time has been wasted by the turning of blind eyes. Lord Kitchener said it all, Your Country Needs You!