PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you listen to ATC if they tell you the weather ahead is bad?
Old 11th Jun 2012, 20:47
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to get hung up on this incident, the flight I believe was to Perth. Perth has a VOR procedure, therfore. If this pilot was IFR proficient, he could have pressed on legally. However, it is flying on into higher ground. MSA for the sector would be 3k, higher as he went North. The aeroplane, what I saw of it did not look IFR capable, I may however be totally wrong. However, if controllers are indicating that between your current position, and, your destination, the weather is not good, it is a fair assumption that the weather at destination is not going to be good either. He was VFR.

The area is cluttered with controlled airspace, therefore if the pilot presses on into controlled airspace, verbally maintaing he is VFR, with commercials flying down glide slopes to CAT 11, then the controllers are going to ask at some stage do you wish IFR, or SVFR. Decision time for the pilot. He did I believe the correct thing, he landed with help. That is a result, a very good result, however, it does not get away from the fact, in this incident, should he have been there in the first place.