PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fewer wannabes?
Thread: Fewer wannabes?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 16:28
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 213 Likes on 79 Posts
Exclamation

I'm not sure just how I could protect my position. I am merely giving my best assessment of the current situation based on my limited insight.

I am suprised Clear Prop!! that you can get so annoyed by that. If you think I am wrong then by all means present your views and perhaps you'll persuade me.

No doubt about the fact the industry will bounce back. Its just the timing is so critical to Wannabes. Its all very well saying things will be OK againin 2 years time in an offhand manner. TWO YEARS!!! Cripes, what the hell are you supposed to do with a Frzn ATPL 200hrs, no job and a £50k debt?!?

You end up flipping burgers and getting rusty. Then when you get a sim ride you flunk it becuase you are so out of practice. Its a NIGHTMARE. I have several good friend, real mates, in just this situation and I tell you its horrific and I can't find much in the way of good news or silver linings for them - much as I try.

Facts are that over the last 3 weeks Wannabe job hunting or sponsorship prospects have fallen off an enormous cliff. We went from a buoyant market to a total freeze and hundreds of unemployed experienced pilots available in a matter of a week or two.

If YOU have a problem with the fact that this matter has featured on PPRuNe Wannabes so heavily then that is your naivety.

No airline is hiring. All sponsorships are cancelled (I am pretty sure BEA will do the same but I am waiting on confirmation on that one).

When I was a Wannabe who didn't know much about the aviation industry back in say 1998 the one thing I really really used PPRuNe for was gathering a 'feel' for the hiring market. Its more important than anything to do with training costs, choice of school, CAA regulations et al. Much more important.

I look forward to the industry upswing as much as the next man. I'm sure near the bottom of my seniority list and quite frankly its a chilling prospect.

Still - no need for anyone to fall out. I am sure that were we having these discussions in a bar we would all be getting on famously, even if we did not share the same view. Nature of the medium and all that.

Cheers,