PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you listen to ATC if they tell you the weather ahead is bad?
Old 11th Jun 2012, 14:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
I've often asked ATC to get me met further down route, and used that information.

I've also often flown VFR in IMC; so long as things are within my personal limits at destination and hopefully my alternate, and most likely I'm receiving a traffic rather than just basic service. And of-course, conditions aren't consistent with risk of icing.

I'm an IMC holder, so my personal minimum will normally be 600ft and 1800m RVR or thereabouts. If I had an IR, that would come down to 200/900. In either case however I may have local knowledge of my destination that modifies my decision point - in either direction - compared to that based purely upon published data.

Similarly I want options in the event of an emergency en-route: cloudbase below is a significant player, but so is what I can see out of the window and my knowledge of what is around me en-route.

So I think that ATC providing this information is spot on, but ultimately the pilot has to make his own decision and will be using a lot of evidence that ATC doesn't have.

Was this pilot being sensible or stupid? Impossible to tell without being him in my opinion.

G