PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SpiceJet to Dubai but no Flydubai to India??
Old 11th Jun 2012, 09:20
Voodoo 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpiceJet to Dubai but no Flydubai to India??

Afternoon,

Just reading the local paper and noticed that Indian low cost outfit Spicejet are opening two routes to Dubai, one from Mumbai and one from Delhi beginning later this month.

Flydubai has largely struggled to get into the Indian market, indeed its opening three routes were supposed to be in India before it fell through. We now have only three destinations in over three years of operations.

My question is, how can SpiceJet obtain two routes, one from the capital and the other from the biggest city in India to Dubai with no current slots available for the other way? Maybe of course FD has shifted it's focus away from India but if it was such a go in the beginning surely they are still looking more ways in? Is it because more hands have been greased or does it go much higher in the food chain that mere mortals who operate the line have no need to know.

I am not suggesting that just because SpiceJet have two routes to Dubai that FD or indeed any UAE carrier should then automatically get routes to India but it does seem much easier for carriers to get permission to fly India to UAE than the other way round. I know that India are extremely protective of their carriers and possible loss of revenue as other threads have alluded to but surely there's nothing wrong with a healthy spot of competition?

I would have thought, two for them might equal at least one for us?!, even if it is to other destination(s).

Curious mind seeking clarity! V3