PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank You Aeropelican
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 08:51
Robert Piper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeropelican - early days.

I continued my flying training at Aeropelican in 1972. It was a continuation of training from the South Pacific Aero Club in Port Moresy.

Instructors were J. Ruse and E. Newell - both first class. Well disciplined and a pleasure to be in the cockpit with. The planes were C-150s.

From memory cost was $14 an hour - amazing. At the time I was unemployed and the dole was $14 a week so when my girlfriend's parents asked me what I was doing I hinted it was like a Commonwealth flying scholarship. Don't worry - I didn't marry her.

I still have a perfect orange sticker of the old Aeropelican drome insignia - a Pelican in flight with two props. A beauty. Hope they still use it

The owner of the drome was a fine man. He had built it from scratch using a tractor. He arranged a free spin in a Cessna 402 for me one day. His name will come back to me. I remember his brother had been a RAAF pilot during the war and post war captained ships to and from New Guinea.

Great memories of Aeropelican and the crew there. Thanks for the training and memories.

Bob Piper.
Military & Aviation Research Services - Canberra.