PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 04:25
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinbird
Hey Clandestino, we are talking about trained pilots, not random guys you pick up on the street.

When I'm talking about Yuri Gagarin succumbing to spiral dive in cloud or Charles Basset and Elliot See perishing in controlled flight into building, I'm talking about astronauts, not some random airline pilots.
Clandestino
Where did you get that about Yuri Gagarin? The Russians to this day do not really know what happened to his aircraft other than both guys rode it in.

As for Elliot See flying into the building--how many circling approaches do you think he had made in his life? (I'll bet very few.) His initial approach as a section of two aircraft was FUBAR and his wingy (Gene Cernan) lost sight during the subsequent circling approach and wisely pulled up into the clag for another go on his own. It seems as if visibility was worse than given to the crews and was not suitable. The whole circling thing was improvised on the spot from all appearances. Is it any wonder it didn't turn out well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinbird
One thing that demonstrably took much of PF's attention during the first 35 seconds after the AP drop was the very significant roll oscillation and the method used by PF to control the oscillation.

Originally Posted by Clandestino
Roll oscillation before stall was of low frequency, low and decreasing amplitude. It spells: insignificant and irrelevant. After stall all bets regarding roll control are off, unless you happen to fly some extremely aerobatic aeroplane, which A330 is not. Even if notion that preoccupation with roll precluded control in pitch were true, pilot unable to control the aeroplane around two axes simultaneously is severely incapacitated.
This looks like a Clandestino opinion piece. Do you have any facts to back it up? Have you tried it in a simulator? Have you mapped out and analyzed the roll oscillation?

Everything I've read about PIO events indicates that it is like the aircraft suddenly seems to switch from a Dr. Jekyll to a Mr. Hyde personality. What frequencies do you think PIO events tend to occur at? They are relatively low frequencies where the pilot is able to make inputs into the cycle. The only problem is that the inputs contribute to the oscillation.