PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 00:53
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALF
I see your point but can't find myself in agreement with it. We do not have any evidence that the crew actually followed any procedure to identify what the cause of the initial situation was. This would seem to go against their training. Hindsight bias would appertain if for example they chose an SOP other than UAS and we state well they should have followed UAS instead. However, to say that they should have followed a course of action to analyse the situation which fits in with what we might reasonably expect was trained does not show hindsight at all. One should have expectations that trained behaviour should be followed and in this situation we can't say that this was the case. Note I am not saying that they should have followed the UAS drill but that they should have followed an analysis procedure which allowed them to arrive at an appropriate conclusion about the situation they were in. This is what airline pilots are supposedly trained to do. I cannot see any hindsight bias in this.