PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2012, 22:19
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nanga Gaat

Tiger Mate:

The building by the side of the corrugated iron hangar was the HQ/Administration building and it bore the "Station" sign board proudly proclaiming "R.A.F. Nanga Gaat" and had the rampant tiger of 110 Squadron on it. I know the sign was there because I repainted it in my spare time. When I was there the Gaat C.O. was a Flt. Lt and the building housed his office, the comms room and the administrative staff. That was a "permanent" type building made of sawn timber, not planed but rough sawn and it was stained brown or creosoted.

One of the amazing things at the Gaat was the display board on the side of the hangar with the weird insects that existed there, including flying lizards with folding wings...weird.

The only other "permanent" machined timber building was the Airmen's accomodation and Stores building and Mess hall which was closer to the river on Main Street. All other accomodation buildings were basha's with atap rooves and split bamboo sides and split bamboo floors nailed together with roofing nails.

The helicopter "pads" were a mix of stones, mud, PSP and some concrete and were reached by sawn planking boardwalks all over the helicopter pad area. You had to watch your footing.

See the Key Publishing thread "Confrontation", which I referenced in an earlier post there are quite a few pics of the pads.

DB...