PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best App for GA Pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2012, 18:06
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me F8F, will you be allowed to use the Ipad during a checkride?

And exactly how will you use instrument procedures without an instructor , safety pilot etc? you don't plan to wear a hood alone in the plane and file an IFR flight plan without an instrument rating , do you?

The idea of VFR flight is to learn a trick or two about looking out the window. And yes, you might even get lost and have to figure out where you are.

Do you have a checklist for IPAD FAILURE?

What will you do, 15 years from now when you are captain on a hypersonic electric plane and everything quits except the engines? Mamouth ION storm knocks everything out, but you can look out the window?

Will you know how to navigate by pilotage? Dead Reckoning? Much of airline flying, or any flying, is visual.

Now, getting you rNOTAMS on the IPAD might be a good idea. But exercise your mind. Not your fingertips. And PAPER sectional charts don't need batteries, and you can put them in the windows, on the ground while parked, to keep the cockpit cool from sunshine.

Remember, you cannot file IFR unless you are instrument rated, (instructor aside).
Totally not the point of this thread. And total rubbish. No one said I will be relying solely on an iPad, and no one said I will be using it for a check ride.

And no where does it say that I CAN'T use an ADF or VORs or whatever to navigate whilst flying VFR. And no, I will not be flying with a hood - to learn how to use instruments, you don't need to fly with a hood. And nor do you need to be in IFR and nor do you need to file a flight plan.

I didn't title this topic - "Is using an iPad a good idea?". This is a completely unrelated issue.

Of course one should take advantagevof technology and other fellow pilots living in last century trying to impose their philosophy is pathetic but not uncommon. The iPad is a great tool and later on in your career ou will enjoy the iPad jepps as backups while Mr better knowing is sitting on his boat dreaming of better times were bav was done with sixtant. Good luck bru.
Agreed, thanks.

Ignore the dinosaurs Bearcat, they probably insist on a man walking in front of their cars with a red flag, you know, to improve road safety and all that.

I won't need to tell you that basic flying skills are important; I also won't need to tell you that if and when you go on a sim check for whatever airline, they won't give you a stop watch and a chart and tell you to crack on. In fact, you might not even get a sim check if you haven't got experience on modern tech such as glass cockpits etc.

You've probably realised that you can gain some really useful knowledge and tips on this website, but sadly, it's also full of people who will insist that unless you do it their way, you're obviously an amateurish idiot. Often, 'their way' will be how it was done in in the 1950's.
Also agreed. Thanks.

Last edited by Bearcat F8F; 10th Jun 2012 at 18:07.