PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with blind people
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2012, 13:28
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, my idea was to first sit them down, together with their parents of course, give them a reasonable sized model aircraft in their hands, and let them feel the movements I intend to make, with running commentary on how this is going to feel.

Then take them to the aircraft and just let them feel it all over. Including sitting in the LHS temporarily so they can feel all the clocks, switches and such.

In flight they would be RHS with their hands loosely on the controls so that they can feel me through. Running commentary of course, particularly before doing an aeros maneuver.

In fact, with most of my "seeing" aerobatics passengers I get them to fly a loop. Even the non-pilots. Simply by showing them the proper stick positions, and then letting them move the stick to that exact position by themselves. Most are able to achieve a decent loop on the second or third try. In a loop you are almost flying blind anyway, since you see nothing but blue sky (unless you look sideways, which I discourage in my passengers as it can accelerate the onset of motion sickness) so that should not be too different for people that are actually blind. In fact, they may be better at it. (Just need to remember to tell them when we're all the way round, so that they can release the stick in time.)

(And I'll put a GoPro in the back so that the parents can see what it was all about, afterwards...)

Last edited by BackPacker; 10th Jun 2012 at 13:30.