PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Anyone?
Thread: Monarch Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2012, 12:06
PilotsOfTheCaribbean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chief willy I paid for my pilot training (an fATPL) with an unsecured loan via the CTC scheme. I assure you I have never paid for a type rating - I was lucky. People that have had no sensible choice. For example when we began selection/ training in 2006/2007 the economy was incredible - it was a reasonable thing to follow our dreams via ths method. In 2008 the bottom fell out of the world economy. We were passed the PNR. Once qualified people are in for a penny, in for a pound.
B&B,

For someone with a whole handful of years of experience, perhaps we should be grateful for the benefit of the same insightful comment that you so regularly lavish on the British airways thread on this same forum.

A strong industry, even in a fiercely competitive market, is a good thing for everybody with a stake in it. The global economy has certainly been on its knees since you were placed into this sector of the industry. Some of us have longer memories.

When easyjet was born, it was with Monarch 737 aircraft. A lot of its very early growth was with leased in aircraft and crews from Monarch and with the support of Monarch engineering. You were probably still in school in those days, but it would be wise to understand the vulnerability of being number two in this industry. Take a look at the history of aviation companies (as, or with airlines) that have occupied this position: Horizon (Orion airways); Intersun (Air Europe); British Caledonian, etc.

Survival is about the ability to adapt and having the resource to the cash that enables that transformation. Large companies (such as BA) and smaller companies (such as Monarch) have adapted their business models to the realities of the industry in the current and forseeable trading environment. These companies either through public or private resources also have access to the cash to finance these changes. A lot of aviation companies without such resouces, have fallen victim to the reality of that situation, not only in the last 5 years, but throughout the last 90 years.

Monarch has been an excellent employer for over 40 years. It has changed, but continues to be an excellent employer. Even at CTC it is viewed as something of First prize when it comes to placements. I know why that is, and I am sure you know why that is. Monarch has been viewed as more of a career company for many of these graduates, which is why they now comprise nearly a quarter of the entire pilot force, with graduates occupying many senior management and training positions within what is obviously a mature company.