PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question about evacuations
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 21:56
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For us, the sequence of events would be a follows:

Following an unpleasant event - and realistically we are talking about smoke, fire or their imminent threat, the aircraft would be brought to a stop. I'd the order "Cabin Crew, Passengers - Remain seated."

Assuming time is available, we would both agree that an evacuation is the most sensible thing to do. If it was, we'd action the following memory items:

Set Parking Brake; Lower Flaps (or raise them one notch if they were at Full), Shut down both engines (the cabin lights lights would now go out and the Emergency Lights would illuminate); Pull and twist the engine fire handles (firing their fire extinguishers); Shut down the APU; Fire the APU fire bottle; Dump the Cabin Pressure.

I'd then order "Evacuate Aircraft" and my colleague would inform ATC. The Cabin Crew would then step in and do their job - and that would be pretty memorable! The doors would be opened and slides deployed and they will SHOUT AT YOU! You'd then leave - pronto, even if just to get away from the noise.

In the relative calm of the cockpit, we'd run through the Evacuation Checklist, turn off the batteries and then leave ourselves. My colleague through the front door and me through the rear.