PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Train in Canada VS. Europe
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 17:45
Elias-8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train in Canada VS. Europe

Hello Everyone

I would like to thank you for your advice and the time.

I think, I may need a life/career mentor to help me with my decision: Training in Europe Vs. Canada.

The facts: 30 yrs old - Currently making a Gross of $72,000 Gross/6months - No debts. - Dual Citizenship (Greek /Canadian). Mature and experienced.

I want a career in aviation with a strong desire. Not for the prestige or the status, but rather for the joy of flying. At this point of my life, I will have to give up my Marine Navigation Career in order to pursue Aviation. Even though I would love to fly the bush and get the real thrill of flying, I am a bit concerned that i will be living of less than 18,000 year for the next 10 years until I get into an airline, where i will be able to afford and sustain a normal lifestyle (not in poverty) and live my dream. I will be 40 years old by then. No savings. If I was 20, this could have been an adventurous path.

In my research, In Canada flying the bush or instructing is the only way to an airline career. Canadian airlines don't really have anything on the table with cadet programs such as MPL and special training. In fact, it's clear that the major aviation companies such as CAE are investing their money and efforts in producing pilots out of OAA and training foreign students at MFC (Moncton Flight College) and giving them the best training in order to be ready as pilots for a direct entry into the airlines. Meanwhile, Canadians are left out.

In fact, if you google "Canjet hiring foreign pilots" you will note that in 2009, airlines like sunwing and Canjet hired 200 foreign pilots with 737 NG type rating. Apparently they told the media that they posted the vacancies in Workopolis, but they couldn't find qualified Canadian pilots with the 737 NG type rating. Lol "what pilot pays for type rating before getting hired anyway?"

There is plenty of unemployed qualified and experienced pilots in Canada, who are ready, willing to work and train. The question is: Why did they not offer Canadian pilots an opportunity to train on the 737 NG type rating? Who administers these decisions? where is the governing body in Canadian aviation to enforce such things?

I understand Type ratings can range from 20k to 40k but they could have at least given out options to Canadian Pilots to pay it back when hired.

it just seems to me that it's a bit unorganized.

I am skeptical, that even if I sacrifice the next ten years, chances are; I will be like the rest of the Canadian pilots who where not even given a chance to fly for their own countries airlines. I am afraid than one day i will be 40 years old + with over 4,000 hours without a job.

In Europe on the other hand, CTC or OAA charge an awful lot of money, but at least they guarantee MPL and an interview if you're a above 90%. F/O work for peanuts in the first 2-3 years but get the jet time and experience they need to later apply for Emirates etc.
Also, Airlines like Cathay Pacific want to see MPL in your certificates. Its also proof that Air Asia did the same to their Cadets at MFC by contracting CAE to train them. This tells me that Asia is now looking at how Europeans train their pilots. (Magenta students) But at least they will have a job.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have enough experience, so i appreciate your feedback.