PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 15:42
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO -

Thanks for coming back. The Typhoon proposal has always (to my knowledge, but happy to be told wrong) included thrust vectoring. I'm not clear how applying thrust vectoring at the aft end of the fuselage can help with the approach, but clever flying controls are probably being suggested.

Sorry to disagree, but the physics of a non-STOVL STOBAR launch are not the same as for a STOVL aircraft using a ramp. There are important differences.

A STOVL aircraft can leave the end of the ramp below wingborne flying speed. That's because it can vector its thrust through its C of G to help maintain flight. It can also control itself below wingborne flight speeds using either reaction controls or its thrust effector (F-35B uses both). A non-STOVL aircraft can't do either, so its ramp end speed would have to be much higher, and wing loading lower, to maintain controlled flight. Look at the weapon loads being carried in Russian STOBAR ops - all appear very light.

On Sea Gripen, I am sorry, but anyone who says that they could 'easily generate a higher sink rate version' of an aircraft structure is either badly informed or being economical with the actualite. The loads generated in a normal trap landing (including hook loads) are simply huge and don't exist in a non-maritime aircraft. You can't 'beef up' structure that's not there in the first place. Same for landing. The speeds required for trap operations are around 20 to 30 knots below any normal land based aircraft. No one, and I have a great deal of regard for the Swedes, ever goes out and designs an aircraft to do this unless the aircraft absolutely has to. I have no doubt that a Gripen can operate off an 800m long road - the Swedes are absolutely outstanding at this sort of stuff. But I bet you a lot of kroner that it can't do it with anything like a full payload, or on a hot day, or at altitude.

So, to answer your well phrased question - no, I don't thank that any conventional (ie non-STOVL) aircraft using STOBAR could match F-35B off a 550 ft deck run and a ski jump. Doesn't make them bad aircraft - just not designed for the particular task being faced.

Best Regards as ever

Engines