PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed in climbing turn
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 13:26
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I will freely admit that my misuse of terms has not been helpful, however that does not make my points invalid.

You can say that aileron movement does not change the geometric angle of attack, however that is just how our engineers have decided to resolve it for standardisation.

If an engineer came across a solid wing, (ie no hinge or aileron) in the shape of "our wing" but with the aileron deflected downwards and was asked to work out the chord line he would come up with a different result than if he was given a wing in the shape of "our wing" with the aileron level.

Equally, if you have wing warping, to say that the chord line is unchanging is no more valid than to say that the Cl is unchanging.

There are many different and equally valid/imperfect ways to look at lift, and to suggest that one must do it in a particular way is not reasonable.

My point was, that the outside wing in a stable climbing turn has higher speed, therefore needs to lose lift somehow.
If you want, you can say it reduces it's Cl to do this rather than AoA, but the point still stands, and I think it is merely semantics.