PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alligator Airways Grounded
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 09:00
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incredible video, thanks for sharing.

Without commenting on the other aspects I would like to point out that we should not judge the pilots big grin too harshly. Along with other seemingly inappropriate actions giggling is a natural response of somebody in a state of shock. Not only would he still be in default host/tour guide mode he would have been very very pleased to be alive!

from an article in PsychologyToday.com:
Why We Laugh: How laughter can help build resilience
We're signaling (sic) ourselves that whatever horrible thing we've just encountered isn't really as horrible as it appears, something we often desperately want to believe.
I would say that perhaps every pilot should remember this part of the video and try to ensure that after an incident like that they realise that the emergency is still not over and that leading the evacuation is still part of their duties. Perhaps a FA might have some sort of insight. (Actually, I should think that as the PIC this guy had even greater emotional liability and therefore more of a natural tendency towards nervous laughter.)

Food for thought,

FRQ CB

PS I know that this is common practice but it worth noting that "The six [passengers] were driven to the airport... by [the] pilot" (from the article). Just another overworked, underpaid and under-resourced casualty of the industry.

Last edited by FRQ Charlie Bravo; 9th Jun 2012 at 14:09.