PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 06:35
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, congratulations on your first OP and glad to hear that all 12 aircraft made it safely back! Your vivid description and detailed explanation brings a sequence of events, seen from afar as it were, to the very forefront of our minds. Of course, I can now see that as you roll left or right to keep that painted band on the nose of your aircraft lined up exactly with the target as you dive vertically onto it, your eventual pull out will be in almost any direction. Useful for confusing the AA guys, not so useful in confusing you, especially as the direction it takes you in might be the last one that you would want (rising terrain, enemy concentrations, the opposite way to the way back home!). The sheer danger of the dive, by leaving the recovery too late, is also clear. Miss-set altimeters, altimeter lag, even mental maths mistakes in adding 3500' to the target's altitude (I assume all this was on local QNH?), and of course misreading a frantically unwinding altimeter, could all make this procedure as terminal for the attacker as the attacked.
I believe that the Luftwaffe posted its creme de la creme to the Stuka. One can begin to see why!