PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offline e-mail
Thread: Offline e-mail
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2012, 01:16
ExSp33db1rd

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Offline e-mail

Since Pontius was a Pilot - or at least since the start of Internet World Domination - I've used Outlook Express, or latterly Windows Mail on Vista, as my e-mail programme. It's rigged to download mail from my ISP webserver - a local provider which snuggles up to Yahoo ! - and when travelling can find a suitable WiFi connection, then download the webmail into Windows Mail on the computer, and return to whatever abode we are residing in and consider our mail at our leisure, offline, and compose a reply to lurk in Outbox until the next Internet connection sometime later. You all know the story.

However ... to save lugging a large, heavy, laptop around I've just bought a small 'netbook' of the EeePC family, and this has come pre-loaded with Windows 7 Starter version, which unlike the Windows 7 Home Premium that I'm familar with, doesn't come with Outlook.

It has Windows Live Mail, but this is the point - it has to be Live, i.e. connected to the Internet, which defeats the whole point - or does it ?

Regardless, it is slaved to Hotmail, which means a new e-mail address etc.

Any advice on loading a free 3rd party e-mail programme that I can use ?

My "Man What Does" computer repairs says Outlook Express/Windows Mail can't be downloaded on to Windows 7 anyway, and that I will have to upgrade to W.7 Home Premium to get Outlook, that we have on our desktop - but do I ? To do that will cost almost as much as the netbook cost, and defeat one of the purposes of this exercise.

OK, I'm cheapskating, but I only need this gadget to read e-mail, and occasionally reach airline websites ( and read PPRuNe of course ! ) I'm not a slave to the Internet and can live without Music,Pictures, Videos quite happily, and can carry other stuff on a USB flash drive stick if I think I might need it. I'm using it as an (almost) necessary tool, not an addiction, but I would like the opportunity to read e-mail at leisure offline. Mrs. ExS. is threatening the carriage of the original laptop of proven experience. ( by me of course, 'tis my carry-on baggage which is under threat ! )

Just a thought. Thanks.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 9th Jun 2012 at 01:24.