PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft painting
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2012, 23:47
hiwaytohell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D8 Capt, a full repaint is not a schedule 8 job. Schedule 8 was designed to repaint the back of your prop, polish your aircraft etc.

The full repaint needs to be undertaken by a shop with the appropriate certificate of approval and supervised / certified by an appropriately qualified LAME.

Many shops will permit you to provide the "grunt" labour. However there are a lot of pitfalls for the amateur. Some examples I have seen:
* using acid stripper on Baron elevators (made of magnesium alloy).. required a full re-skin of elevators. I have seen this about half a dozen times over the years.
* paint stripping the plastic & fibreglass. I saw this on a Seneca completely stuffed the engine nose cowls, the cabin door (made of fibre glass), all wing tips etc
* a C182 sanded with an orbital sander that took the heads off 80% of the round (universal) head rivets on the wings and fuselage. Plus badly took the surface off the alclad... wrote off the aircraft. I also saw similar on a C188 required replacing a lot of rivets.
* overly vigorous use of the pressure cleaner on the paint stripper forcing stripper under masking on windows. In one case on a Baron required replacing windscreen and all windows. Also saw same on static vents, in one case stuffed the entire system (due plastic lines) and the ASI, ALT and VSI.
* use of steel scrapers that have badly scribed skin. In one case required skin replacements.
In a few of the amateur assisted paint jobs I have seen the longevity has been pretty short. Such as stripper leaking from skin lap joints (due to stripper being forced under with pressure cleaners), corrosion because surface treatment was done incorrectly. I could go on...
Get a professional shop who do paint jobs for a living. If they will let you help great! But you are unlikely to save much doing it yourself!

AND definitely don't get the apprentice panel beater who does up punky boy cars...