PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Facts of the Air India Pilots Agitation:
Old 8th Jun 2012, 20:27
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I share Top Bunk's views. Unions are very important, but they need to do their job properly including communicating effectively, which does not appear to be the case here.

Picking up on a couple of points; if I have understood the crore correctly then it appears to be 10 million rupees which I understand to be $180,000, which is a pretty full price. Few if anyone gets their training for free these days (at Lufthansa or most other majors if you are lucky enough to be sponsored, you pay the cost back over time). Significant numbers at BA and elsewhere have paid for their training themselves and worked their way up via easyjet, Ryanair etc. I am not saying this is good, just that is the way things are typically done now.

If you compare upgrade times for short haul and long haul you are also comparing apples and pears. Six years for a short haul command and a long haul command at ten years is pretty good going. If the union wants long haul FO's to get a long haul command after 6 years just because short haul guys are getting them then that is not a very convincing argument.

The sick out route is a tough one to make work. The very compelling book about the 49 ers, which I can thoroughly recommend, has almost certainly been read by your management. If you have not read it I suggest you do. The Cathay guys say it was not a sick out, but management still used it against them. I think management have maneuvered you into this and unless you find a way to de-escalate the situation you will not be around to fight another day.