PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and Age (2012)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2012, 18:25
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe some of the details discussed does explain the reasons some thing that it is ok to be discriminated on age here.

Just because you are over 30/35 or even 40, it seems that some think that, that Ryanair think, that we would not accept these kind of conditions!

However this is amazingly completely outside of touch of reality, as I would believe that 99% of us older guys, knows exactly that we would have to be very flexible in the first years of this new career. If we had thought differently, we would not have chosen to try to get into aviation! Because to be honest, we would have to be insane to want to get into this, without first doing lots of research, and knowing that it would be an uphill struggle from day one!

That's why some of you guys "logic" who is trying to defend the reason why Ryanair does this, does not have any logic, but it is nice way to try to find an excuse!

This is not the first time this question has been raised, and it always ends the same way.
Fact is Ryanair, even if they do NOT pay your training, they do not expect their cadets to be long term with them, they still do not want to invest in long term older pilots!

To be honest, knowing what I know today, most probably would not want to do short haul Ryanair style anyway for the next 22 years!

We can raise this question again and again, nothing will change, Ryanair has a formula they use for their selection, all companies have that! The formula will largely with very few exception exclude anybody above 3X years old, not everybody, but probably 99% of them!

My CV was as good as anyone else's, as I know both got interview and got offered a job! If everybody else from your flight school within few months gets offered an interview by Ryanair, you do know there is something fishy!

Anyway that's the way it is, and unless somebody tries them in a tribunal, it is just to put up or shut up! Fact is that Ryanair will have enough people to show they are not discriminating!

The percentage of "older" pilots, is relative small compared to younger guys, so there is a clear reason why most of the guys are under 30's!