PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 23:10
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the "report"

The captain, Marc Dubois, who was on a scheduled break when the plane hit heavy weather and the autopilot disengaged, took more than a minute to respond to the crew's calls for help.
"more than a minute" I'm shocked, I really am ....

Think about it - everyone the most mighty skygod, requires a few seconds to wake up, especially if they've gone off into a deep sleep....and most of us don't sleep in the uniform ( creased uniform is bad for the company's image, as is running to the flight deck in your shreddies, don't you know ) Most of the time on a flight with a "heavy" you're lucky to get a resting crewmember(s) back onto the flightdeck in under 5 minutes from initiating a wake up call. You can run all the love triangle and conspiracy theories you want but we all know (don't we?) that it takes time to wake up and be aware of one's surroundings - I can't see how putting TV cameras in the bunk area is going to solve that particular human factors' "problem", but nevertheless I see the usual suspect has declared him/herself as a fan of the idea .....

10 minutes .....
Call me whatever you want .. but my opinion is that the back of the captain never touched the bed sack and the captain never closed his eyes ......
FWIW since I was utterly cream crackered somewhere over the Far East last night it took me less than ten minutes from seat to a very deep sleep j.c. , so my opinion is that yes, it certainly can be done.

Last edited by wiggy; 7th Jun 2012 at 23:32.