PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON &SE (all airports) - strategy / hamsterwheel
Old 7th Jun 2012, 21:01
Serenity

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What gets me is the anti third runway at LHR camp which claims the environmental impact, while all the time almost. Every arrival spends 10 plus minutes in a hold, over their heads, wasting tons of fuel and increasing emissions, while waiting for space to land.

How much of an environmental impact would a new hub have in the Thames or else where? Huge! Much more than just one more runway at LHR.

Unfortunately stansted and Luton are too far out, Size limited and transport limited to be major international / intercontinental hubs.

I blame the BAA for lacking vision and action too. Changes at LHR have been slow in coming. Lack of pressure on the governments.
Just look at what has been done to LGW since it has been taken over. Total revamp and face lift. Numerous intercontinental customers have since started routes there.

Milan has two international airports. I've flown into one and out of the other in the same week.