PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brazilian ATC vs. BA 249
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 18:07
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think the Kennedy controllers are trying to prove anything - they are extremely professional operating in their own environment in their own language.
I don't have the same view of "repeat please" pilots or controllers though...
The big question is that BA probably accepted a radar vector below area MSA which in my book should have an associated published procedure in the event of comms failure which the controller is obliged to remind the crew of especially after a previous accident.
It appears that they did not understand the plain english of "clearance limit in the event of radio or radar failure".
It would only take a simple briefing note that in the event of accepting a non procedural approach expect radio failure clearance limit from Approach controller, if none received request or follow XYZ.
Sadly BA has some sad ideas re professionalism as demonstrated by the LAX flight especially the little bit where they asked the pax what they had seen at night after the engine popped.
Basic airmanship - don't descend below MSA unless you know where you are and have plan B if ATC goes quiet.