PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 17:32
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's look at a parallel in the business world. NFL Football.

Highly skilled professionals are demanded to perform to maximum limits, and carry this mission through the year, no let up. Each "flight" occurs on one day/week, generally. The action is technical, physical, and mental. Post game, there is INTENSE forensic activity, by the professionals, their guidance team, (coaches) and to a lesser extent, support staff. The goal is to improve on an already excellent effort. Status quo effort gets people fired....

Films, interviews, comparisons, computer, medical, etc. It is ALL hindsight.

Without looking backward, there is total waste of effort v/v an improvement, perhaps in small increments, but without constant improvement, there is backsliding, into a "who cares" culture that gets ridiculed, and eventually swallowed up.

Competition in aviation is cutthroat, as it should be. The loss of safety goals from the competitive landscape is dangerous, for in aviation, losers don't just get released, sometimes they die, and take a portion of the audience with them.

I am trying my best to understand what is wrong with a look back? Is it because someone is looking who is from the outside? You cannot police yourselves, you are not well regulated by those who are entrusted to do so. Perhaps it is time for outsiders to see the evidence, examine, and make judgments?

Defending a system that is under attack is to be expected. It is possible we will never agree; I get the impression there is a stance of apologia here, based on the straw man of "hindsight bias".

Hindsight? Bias? So stipulated, then. Shall we move along to acceptance, and discussion, rather than wasteful attempts to de-certify?

TurbineD. I have run across doctored photographs purporting to be from IR2. May we PM?

Last edited by Lyman; 7th Jun 2012 at 17:39.