PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC McAlpine/easyJet/JMC Sponsorship Selection
Old 24th Dec 2002, 00:26
carb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a test that asks you to input data to the auto pilot while noticing and cancelling warning signals this was ok but i and a few others didnt think the warnings were displayed for the full 3 sec.
Yeah, that test is dodgy as heck. Sometimes the red lights come on for a split second, and, sometimes the 'new' settings for the autopilot are the same as the current settings. I just hope these anomolies have been the same for everyone otherwise half of us were playing with broken bats! (or whatever the appropriate metaphor is!).

The instruments are RBI, COMPASS and turn indicator. again take your time and be methodical in deciding which one.
Very confusing at first, but that test made a whole lot more sense to me after I twigged that the thing in the centre was meant to be an NDB, I don't think the instructions mentioned that as they were trying to explain in non-flying terms how to recognise the correct aircraft instrument displays.

For the maths test, I'd have done better if I'd known how many questions there were - the software doesn't allow you to skip a tough question and go back later if you have time, so you need to judge your progress accurately to avoid running out of time, or finishing too soon with botched rushed answers behind you.

The group discussion exercise could be messy if the topic bores you, I nearly fell asleep then came wading back in with points that seemed to go down like lead balloons, probably not what the (lone) assessor is looking for.

Interesting that they used the 4 written application questions to weed people out. I figured they'd basically be checking for readable handwriting, spelling, grammar, and some vaguely intelligent answers, but only using the actual substance of your answers for reference at the final interview.

My approach also was to research a few airline recruitment / careers advice type pages to get briefed up with all the right keywords, concepts and soundbites, then I put all that away, and wrote out my answers from the heart. For teamworking, I used a flying experience, and for overcoming difficulties (or whatever) I spun a crafty piece that explained the impressive nature and focussed purpose of my otherwise undoubtedly lengthy and seemingly unproductive and wasted time as a student, and left no doubt I'd eat ATPL exams for breakfast.

And, needless to say, I ran a spell check, drew lines on the page with a pencil, firstly wrote it all out quickly to check each answer fitted the space alright, then, on a fresh copy, I wrote it out carefully in ink... lastly rubbing out the lines then running it through the fax machine (better than mailing - hides marks, smudges, tipex etc!). Send in a dog's dinner and you're sure to get binned!

Hope this helps to add a little to the good advice above, best of luck to all!