PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAB's new turboprop
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 04:26
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you explain a bit more about the link between the two, please ?
In Hawaii there are four major players that operate inter-island. Hawaiian Airlines, island Air, Go! and Aloha Air Cargo. Hawaiian and Go! operate jets, Island Air operates turboprops and Aloha operates a mixed fleet of jets and turboprops.

Average inter-island stage length is about 38 minutes, which puts a tremendous amount of cycles on the engines over the course of a flight day. I believe most inter-island aircraft operate 16-20 cycles per day depending on their routing. In this environment it has been noted that while the TP aircraft have required an average of two engine replacements over the last five year period, the jet operators have nearly double that average.

An inquiry was placed with Rolls Royce on the cause of this problem (since the B717 fleet is equipped with the BR715). I was curious because one of my previous employers operated Gulfstream V aircraft very heavily and I the BR710 was extremely reliable. basically what i was told is the engine's life is dictated by an average 1 hour stage length for cooling at altitude during its run. Since aircraft in Hawaii rarely exceed 1 hour during flight legs and the engines are usually operated below FL200 that there is insufficient cooling. Combine this with a higher number of high stress periods of flight (start and takeoff) and there will be heavy wear on what is otherwise a very reliable engine, which requires increased unscheduled engine replacements. The CRJ has similar problems with the CF34.

On the other side, the Pratt & Whitney 100 series is designed around the short commuter needs. The engine has been built with a 45 minute stage length as "ideal minimum" (according to figures provided by Bombardier) and as such can handle more frequent starts and takeoffs.

While I can't speak for the technical details of this, I can tell you the figures make a compelling business case for the effectiveness of turboprop aircraft in the >45 minute stage length versus jet aircraft. This case goes beyond the fuel efficiency to engine life span.