PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO ECAM Actions
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 02:55
OPEN DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi PT6A,

If I remember correctly Iberia does the same as US Airways: no ECAM until established in the final segment, i.e. MCT/OP CLB/green dot except for ENG FIRE/ENG STALL.

The EFATO ECAM is the same as the cruise or any other flight phase. which makes me wonder if it is a good idea to wait those 30 secs in the hope of having a quick relight. Is it likely that you will recover an engine like that, in take off, after a flame out? I mean, wouldn't it be better to ignore that and go on with the rest of the actions? Specially if damage is obvious...
True. But remember that the 30sec has no countdown timer because there is a bit of judgment involved:

Many times you´ll hear that the FADEC/ECU will attempt an autorelight for 30sec, this is not entirely true as it´s a matter of N2 rotation rather than time.

-Below 400ft when ECAM has not been started yet, the FADEC/ECU will attempt an autorelight with dual ignition after the detection of the flame out. Then when no relight occurs before N2 reaches 40% the ignition is discontinued.
-At 400ft, ECAM ACTIONS start with "IGN/START“ to confirm the auto-ignition.
If the relight does not occur before N2 drops below 47 % in this case, then the FADEC/ECU transitions to an auto start sequence.
Here start the famous 30 seconds, you might want to monitor provided that you have some N2 (no damage). Also keep in mind that an autorelight might have started already well before the ECAM was started anyway.
It takes approximately 15 seconds to read the ECAM and retard affected thrust lever to idle Then an additional 5 second delay to read:
• ''If no relight after 30 seconds.... ENGINE MASTER(affected ).....OFF”
• Logically when PNF eyes are back on EWD engine parameters to monitor an eventual relight, the 30 seconds are already gone.

All a bit complicated but in short: no need to time anything! If DAMAGE, forget about the timing all together.
Hope it helps.

Regards

Last edited by OPEN DES; 7th Jun 2012 at 03:19.