PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 00:29
RotarySpanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bell is built like a tank and weighs in like one because its composite technology is old. In some places the composite is over an inch thick and stuffed full of metal. Designed in an era to withstand bullets from below and run on cheap fuel paid for by the government. Nowadays it's not hard to beat this with the newer stuff and come out with an aircraft 600lbs lighter.

Talk about spouting rubbish. Have you ever removed every single bit of useless plastic trim from a 206 and placed it in a pile? Even the doors are twice the weight, yet offer no realistic increased protection from blades/the ground if it were to really go wrong. Does that big heavy instrument panel really make you safer …or is that Bell build quality more likely to just bend out in the sunlight? I could go on forever about unnecessary bulk in the 206.

I think the 206 is a lovely, reliable and solid machine, but saying a new entrant is not up to the job because it's not 1960's Bell is quite pathetic. Noone does '1960's Bell' anymore because no one wants to pay to keep all that metal in the air.

Yes the B3 is a fantastic machine, and I'm very happy for you guys out there flying the bigger stuff, but not everyone can afford Eurocopter’s prices. We are talking about entry level turbines here, and unfortunately for you, the new R66 is now one of them.